Chilton Foliat village hall was originally the Church Room and has over the years hosted a variety of functions and events.
The Church Room was a gift to the village from Lady Pearce in 1895 and was built by George Elms of Stockcross from plans drawn up by architect James H Money. The official opening day was 11th. June 1895.
In its early days the hall provided a place for the village residents to use for meetings, recreation and teaching and still greatly adheres to those purposes today. The hall also boasted its own 'Minstrel Players' and a lovely black & white photograph of them still hangs in the hall today.
You will also see another wall plaque with the names of the benefactors of the building as well as our honoured residents who lost their lives in the world wars.
The 'Back Room' or gentleman's club was built much later by Sir John Ward in 1923 and he donated the first billiard table for visitors use.
Sir John also provided much needed heating and lighting for the hall.
During the war years between 1939 and 1945 much of the area around Chilton Foliat played host to American soldiers some of whom were billeted along the driveway of Littlecote House. The village hall was taken over by the YMCA and provided a place for the men to rest, relax and write their letters home. The then Reverend Walter Pelham scouted the village and found 8 capable ladies who in turn co-opted their friends and family to work on a rota system running a canteen to provide for the weary troops.
Over the years many local residents have continued with fund raising events to enhance the hall and in 1985 the job of Trustees was passed from the PCC to the Parish Council who in turn elected a Management committee to run the hall. Fund raising from village residents enabled a new ceiling to be installed to save heat loss and more willing village volunteers added new soft furnishings to cover the windows.
In 1995 a pageant was arranged to celebrate the 100 years anniversary of the hall and an amateur video of that occasion is available to hire.
The hall is now used in part or as a whole with an ever-increasing number of events on the books. The Youth of the village have some wonderful equipment for their club thanks to a lottery grant. Fundraising continues to date and the addition of a 100 club has proved very popular and profitable to members as well as the hall. The 100 club has enabled things like new tables and chairs to be purchased as well as helping fund other facilities within the hall.
In 2003/4 the management committee were notified that new government regulations demanded that the hall, along with all public buildings, would have to comply with the new Disabled Access regulations. This was to prove to be very costly and a fund raising headache, however the committee rose to the challenge and with a grant from the Lottery and our own maintenance officer doing a lot of the work himself by the required date of October 2004 the work was well under way and by early 2005 the main work was all completed.
In the autumn of 2005 full gas central heating was installed again with help of a lottery grant as well as fund raising events making the hall a much warmer and comfortable place to entertain.
Further plans are already in place and the refurbishment and updating will continue by the committee under the guidance of the Parish Council.
The hall is still a very important part of the village providing a safe and warm environment especially during wet school holidays so if you wish to book the hall for a private function we can offer very reasonable rates.